Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My poster for The Aquarium of the Pacific:

In the past, I never considered how my fish got to my dinner plate. I just knew that it tasted good. Recently though I have learned about fishing practices that are harmful to the ocean wildlife and its habitat. Large industrial ships deploy long lines, which can extend 80 miles out to sea and use thousands of baited hooks. These long lines not only catch the desired fish but also catch undesired animals such as turtles, birds, seals, and dolphins, which are tossed back into the sea as garbage, or “bycatch.” Trawling, which involves raking large nets along the sea floor, not only catches everything, but also destroys the habitat. Where there once was abundant life, trawling leaves the sea floor bald and leveled, an effect that is similar to the destruction of rainforests on land. After educating myself about these fishing practices, I can now eat fish that have been caught using more environmentally friendly methods. I hope that this poster will help to inform and introduce this issue to seafood consumers in hopes of curbing the destruction of our ocean.


click on image for larger view:



For guides on safe seafood to eat, go to:


www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?fid=60
(they have pocket guides that you can get sent to you)

www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm
(not only Eco-best and worst, but mercury levels too!)


Image Copyright Shannon Freshwater. Not to be used without permission.

No comments: